Travel FAQs and Tips
I need to TRAVEL BY PLANE to Portsmouth, NH -- which airports are closest to Portsmouth?
(1) BOSTON LOGAN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (Boston, MA) is located about 1.5 hours south of Portsmouth, NH.
(2) MANCHESTER-BOSTON REGIONAL AIRPORT (Manchester, NH) is located about 40 minutes west of Portsmouth, NH.
(1) C&J Trailways (800-258-7111): NO reservation is required. C&J Trailways services Boston Logan airport; drop-off is located at the NH Park and Ride bus station, about 4 miles from downtown Portsmouth.
(2) Flightline (800-245-2525): Reservations ARE required. Flightline services Manchester airport; drop-off is located at the Sheraton Portsmouth Hotel, right across the street from the Shoals dock @ 315 Market Street.
Here's a street view of Market St., with the Portsmouth Chamber of Commerce on the right, the Sheraton Portsmouth, just down the road on the right, and the salt pile near the Shoals dock @ 315 Market St.on the LEFT.
I need to TRAVEL BY BUS to Portsmouth, NH -- which bus companies service Portsmouth, NH?
(1) C&J Trailways (800-258-7111): Drop-off @ NH Park and Ride bus station, about 4 miles from downtown Portsmouth.
(2) Greyhound (800-231-2222): Drop-off @ 55 Hanover St. in downtown Portsmouth.
I need to TRAVEL BY CAR to Portsmouth, NH -- how and where should I plan to PARK in Portsmouth, NH?
- Shoals DOES NOT PROVIDE PARKING AT ANY DOCK LOCATIONS IN PORTSMOUTH;
- Shoals DOES NOT PROVIDE SHUTTLE SERVICE TO/FROM ANY DOCK LOCATIONS IN PORTSMOUTH;
- PLEASE GO TO THE DOCK FIRST TO DROP OFF YOUR LUGGAGE!
(1) FREE parking is available at the Portsmouth, NH Park and Ride Lot, located just off exit 3A from Interstate 95 (this lot is safe and well lit). If you choose to park in this lot, GO TO THE DOCK FIRST, check-in with a Shoals staff member, and drop off your luggage before parking your vehicle. You must then take a taxi to get back to the dock. At the end of your program, you must take a taxi to retrieve your vehicle. See taxi numbers above.
(2) PAID parking is available at the public High-Hanover Parking Garage in downtown Portsmouth. This facility is open 24 hours/7 days per week. If you choose to park in this lot, GO TO THE DOCK FIRST, check-in with a Shoals staff member, and drop off your luggage before parking your vehicle. You will need to walk about 2.5 blocks back to the dock. At the end of your program, you must walk to retrieve your vehicle.
I need to make plans for an overnight stay in Portsmouth, NH -- what are the recommended PLACES TO STAY?
Seacoast NH and Maine have a variety of places to stay, visit, and explore! If you need to spend the night on the mainland before or after your program, consult our list of recommendations. Also or check out visit.nh.gov and/or visitmaine.com
What are the meal times on Appledore Island?
7:30am (breakfast) / 12:30pm (lunch) / 6:00pm (dinner) Mondays - Saturdays; 10:00am (brunch) / 5:00pm (dinner) on Sundays. Plan to eat a lite meal before boarding the boat on the first day of your program; credit students taking the 1pm departure from Portsmouth should eat lunch before boarding as you will arrive on Appledore Island after lunch has been served.
What should I wear, and what can I have accessible for the boat ride out to Appledore Island?
Please have the following in a daypack that you can keep with you on deck during your ocean passage: hat, sunscreen, reusable bottle or thermos for water, windbreaker, camera and snacks. ALL other luggage will be stowed below deck, and won't be accessible during the trip. Wear comfortable clothing and sturdy footwear ( sneakers, hiking boots, etc.), PLEASE no flip-flops or fivefingers shoes. Safe journeys!
QUESTIONS? CONTACT SHOALS
You can also contact other Shoalers on Facebook!
Back to the Top