WELCOME TO Shoals: R/V John M. Kingsbury
Physical Characteristics: Length: 47 feet Beam: 16.5 feet Draft: 5 feet Gross Tonnage: 34.49 Net Tonnage: 23 Power: 146 hp/Detroit diesel Material: Steel Cruising speed: 8 knots Construction: Gladding-Hearn Shipbuilding Designer: Woodin & Marean, Inc.
Length: 47 feet
Beam: 16.5 feet
Draft: 5 feet
Gross Tonnage: 34.49
Net Tonnage: 23
Power: 146 hp/Detroit diesel
Cruising speed: 8 knots
Construction: Gladding-Hearn Shipbuilding
Designer: Woodin & Marean, Inc.
The R/V Kingsbury can hold up to 48 standing passengers up to 20 miles offshore, 40 passengers up to 100 miles. Certified as a small passenger vessel on ocean routes up to 100 miles offshore from Eastport, ME to Brownsville, TX.
Lab and Research Facilities:
Researchers and Visiting Groups may charter the R/V Kingsbury when the vessel is not engaged in SML program activites during May – September. SML provides certified captain and crew for each charter. The R/V John M. Kingsbury offers a small wet/dry lab in the main cabin, and ample deck space in the aft section of the vessel. A 1-ton hydraulic crane, an A-frame, a winch with 304 meters of hydrowire, and on-board salt-water pump make the aft deck perfect for oceanographic cruises. Four berths are located below deck.
Available Research Equipment:
In addition to standard electronic equipment, the Shoals Marine Laboratory owns the following research equipment, available to users:
* SeaBird CTD
* Plankton nets, for both zoo- and phytoplankton
* Otter Trawl
* Bottom dredge
* Niskin water sampler
* Advanced reservations are required for all charters, preferably 3 months prior to the trip. Certain exceptions can be made if the vessel is available, AND if the user is a returning customer!
* All users are required to sign a written contract, and supply proof of insurance to Shoals Marine Laboratory. All users should check with their administration and/or legal department regarding this issue. CLICK HERE FOR A SAMPLE LEGAL LETTER (PDF).
* Users must provide their OWN program and staff unless otherwise arranged with SML.
* Programs and/or schedules must be submitted, and approved at least 2 weeks prior to the charter.
To charter the R/V Kingsbury, please contact Pam Boutilier.
Fee Structure (meals are not included):
$350 for a quarter-day (1-2 hours of boat time, to and from the SML/Appledore dock)
$680 for a half-day (2-4 hours of boat time, to and from the SML/Appledore dock)
$1,340 for a full day (4-8 hours of boat time, to and from the SML/Appledore dock)
$155.00 is the transit fee if the cruise is NOT to and from the SML/Appledore dock.
If you have any questions, please contact Pam Boutilier.